Menu

Weingut Schmitges

Erden, Mosul

Erden is a picturesque village on the Mosel and is home to Weingut Schmitges, today run by present generation owner Andreas Schmitges, whose family has been cultivating vines and making wine around Erden since1744.

Andreas took over the estate from his Father Heinrich in 1990. From his predecessors he has learned the art of patient, careful winemaking. Whilst the estate is small, only 4 hectares (10 acres), it has some of the best plots in the Mosel, owning vineyards in the top Erdener Treppchen and Erdener Pralat sites and also Bussaly and Herrenberg.

Andreas is fanatical about quality, and is constantly striving to improve his products. The bulk of production (85%) is from Riesling with some vines being ungrafted and others on American rootstock. The remaining 15% is Rivaner.

Weingut Schmitges was the 2001 winner of the "Best of Riesling" challenge in the category of light and dry Riesling. The competition included 1,740 Riesling wines from 10 countries.

 

Weingut Schmitges' Wines

riesling_grauschiefer_side_1
Germany
White

Weingut Schmitges
Mineral Riesling from the Mosel
pralat_side
Germany
White
treppchen_riesling_side
Germany
White

Weingut Schmitges
Every sip will create a craving for more. Unbeatable price/pleasure ratio!
pralat_side_2
Germany
White
Germany
White

Weingut Schmitges
Show all Weingut Schmitges' Wines

Sign up to the alpine wines newsletter