Monastery of Pannonhalma
This property is located in the town of Pannonhalma, in Eastern Hungary, near to the town of Gyor just south of the Slovakian border and about halfway between Bratislava and Budapest. The Benedictine monks at the monastary on the Sacred Hill of Pannonia have always been closely associated with viticulture and wine making.
At the beginning of the 1900's the Archabbey had about 100 hectares of vineyards in the direct vicinity of Pannonhalma and it also had plantations on the Somló Hill and in Tokaj-Hegyalja. Its bottled wines both whites and reds were sold in Hungary as well as abroad, far beyond the borders of what was then Greater Hungary. The political and social upheaval that followed World War II put an end to the centuries-old tradition when the single party state confiscated the Abbey's vineyard holdings and winery. During the decades that followed the monks never gave up hopes of one day reviving the legacy of excellence.
Finally, it was in 2000 that the plans for rebirth took shape when the Abbey Winery Pannonhlama was re-established. Today the renaissance of the property is nearly complete with a nice range of top quality wines being produced.