Beaujolais Nouveau 2017 - released November 16th
Delivered November 16th (order by 10 am on the 15th)
Beaujolais Nouveau is a crazy and heroic idea: to make a wine in a short time, in order to make Summer available, in a bottle, in a month.
We have been offering the Nouveau from two exceptional producers for 15 years now, delivered on release day. For a small team like us, getting all these orders out in time is also a bit crazy. But we love it!
And so do our customers - our Nouveau is exceptional. Pick from the fruity Philippe Deschamps or the more mineral Didier Lacondemine. Most people get both!
2017 is amazing.
A lovely tradition, make it yours
Beaujolais Villages Nouveau Jerome Lacondemine (Vincent Lacondemine)
Beaujolais Villages Nouveau 2017 case, by Alpine Wines' classic producer Vincent Lacondemine & his nephew Jerome.
As in 2016, the wine is produced with no added sulfites and minimal intervention, allowing for more complexity in the finished wine. This is exceptional Beaujolais Primeur.
From vineyards in Beaujeu. Vincent's wines are well established favorites for many customers, who come back year after year.
Serve Beaujolais Nouveau slightly cool, it enhances the fruitiness and brings out the summer breeze feeling of the wine.
Some facts about Beaujolais Nouveau
The tradition started in 1951 - prior to that Beaujolais could not be released before December 15th.
When the rules were relaxed to November 15th, a group of creative winemakers decided to run a race to Paris to be the first wine of the year on the table of restaurants. The rest is history.
- Beaujolais is made from Gamay. We love Gamay at Alpine Wines and think it is sorely underrated. Discover more about Gamay
- Beaujolais Nouveau is actually a perfect companion to summer barbecues! It's a shame the Southern Hemisphere don't do a Gamay primeur as it'd be perfect timing... Thankfully our Nouveau easily keeps past Summer, just buy an extra case.
- The tradition started in 1951 - prior to that Beaujolais could not be released before December 15th.When the rules were relaxed to November 15th, a group of creative winemakers decided to run a race to Paris to be the first wine of the year on the table of restaurants. The rest is history.
- Beaujolais nouveau is produced using a different type of fermentation than that used in most wines, called carbonic (or whole berry) fermentation. This makes a low tannin wine that is very fruity.
- Designer yeast can bring out very exotic flavours in Nouveau. We don't have any of these types of wines but they are very popular in Asia.
- We have chosen winemakers who focus on expressing the fruit in the wine, with low or no added yeast, producing more typical red fruit and grape juice flavours in the wine.
Beaujolais Nouveau Philippe Deschamps
Beaujolais Nouveau 2017 case, by Alpine Wines' classic producer Philippe Deschamps from vineyards in Beaujeu and Brouilly.
A proper wine made in a month by a true craftsman - fun and very good.
"The 5th year I've bought Nouveau from Alpine Wines. Brilliant fresh flavour every time. I look forward to this every year and they never disappoint."