For most winemakers in Austria, Blauer Portugieser is a filler, grape, used in blends or for house wines. We don't buy these, we buy from people who give the grape the same attention as the more popular grapes and make delicious wines. Like a lot of "neglected" grapes, it is simply lack of attention in planting or winemaking that makes so many of the wines simple. Just like Swiss Chasselas, Blauer Portugieser vines give prolific yields and has low acidity. Just like Swiss Chasselas, Portugieser wines were meant to be drunk in their youth and considered not suited to long-term cellaring. And - no surprise here - just as Swiss Chasselas there's no reason they cannot age magnificently with proper winemaking, or make truly impressive wines. A medium ruby colour with a fruity, grape juice kind of nose. There are also some aromas of plum and red cherry. On the palate, the wine is medium bodied with low tannins and with moderately low acidity. On the palate, it tastes of grape with some cherry and raspberry fruit. Very smooth.
OUR WINES ARE CHOSEN PERSONALLY ONE BY ONE.
- Each wine will bring something distinctive to your table.
- Even the rarities are chosen for your drinking pleasure first.
- From the winemakers they love most back in their home country.
- You should feel safe discovering our wines so we guarantee them (see FAQs).
- No constraint: No minimum order. Buy just what you want, whether a single bottle or thirty
Blauer Portugieser Classic Weingut Christian FischerA juicy delight from Fischer.