SWISS WINE - SMALL AND PERFECTLY FORMED
Wine has been grown in Switzerland for 2,000 years. Yet very little is known about these wines outside of Switzerland. That is because the Swiss drink most of it, so Swiss wine is hard to find.
Switzerland is a fabulous winemaking country and one of the most wine crazy countries. In Switzerland wine is so embedded in life and land that almost everyone either is a winemaker or knows one (usually many). The Swiss also have very high expectations of quality, sustainability and ecology, which means the wines are not just excellent, they are also clean and green. The vineyard landscapes are stunning, with unique terroirs and an exhuberance of native and internation varieties. This is a wine lover's dreamland.
Being Swiss, I am able to source wines that are very hard to get - sometimes only because my parents already bought them! I have chosen some of the best representatives of Switzerland's wine scene - classic family wineries, top cooperatives and cult winemakers.
Swiss Wine Regions
- Chablais The most alpine part of Vaud
- Geneva The Swiss wine city on the Rhône
- Graubünden The start of the Rhine, Pinot Noir land extraordinaire.
- La Côte The cosy part of Vaud
- Lavaux Unesco World Heritage & Chasselas
- Neuchatel Smaller lakes, alpine views, watches and wine
- Ticino The spectacular corner where Merlot thrives
- Valais The uncontestable champion of Swiss wines.
- Vaud A wine tourist's paradise in Western Switzerland
Swiss Grape Varieties
- Amigne There are few grape varieties rarer
- Cabernet Franc Hard to ripen but a most elegant animal
- Cabernet Sauvignon The most popular red on the planet
- Chardonnay Cool climate Chardonnay is magic
- Chasselas The art of freshness without acidity
- Cornalin Once the dominant variety in Valais
- Diolinoir An unexpected cross on a mountainside
- Divico New eco variety
- Divona new eco variety
- Doral Doral, the exotic little number
- Dôle Blend A blend that is almost a variety
- Eyholzer Roter Also known as Hibou, a light rarity
- Gamaret A new eco friendly smooth red
- Gamay One of the great red grapes of humankind
- Garanoir The more structured sibling of Gamaret
- Gewürztraminer The floral champion
- Gwäss The Casanova grape, father of multitudes
- Himbertscha A rare ancient Valais curiosity
- Humagne Blanche Pre roman and tastier than most
- Humagne Rouge The elegant animal of the St Bernard?
- Johannisberg / Sylvaner a fantastic white often overlooked
- Lafnetscha Lafnetscha, the "take your time" grape variety
- Marsanne or Hermitage in Valais
- Merlot Merlot is Everywhere!
- Mondeuse Noire The smoother dark stranger from Savoie
- Müller Thurgau NOT a riesling sylvaner cross. Taste it.
- Petite Arvine The bright star of the Alpine whites
- Pinot Gris Alpine Pinot Gris is something else!
- Pinot Noir The most important red around the Alps
- Plantscher An ancient variety related to Furmint
- Resi Another Valais ancient grape
- Riesling The great white wine, for good reason
- Roussanne If you like Roussanne, look to Savoie
- Räuschling one of the important medieval varieties, saved in Zurich
- Sauvignon Blanc The most popular white here in mineral glory
- St Laurent "Pinot with tannins" but much more too
- Syrah At its best with Alpine elegance
- Sämling Quite unique notes, try it
- Traminer / Heida Savagnin climbs the highest
- Viognier Rich and fruity white
Swiss Wine Producers
- Badoux Vins The most famous of all Swiss wines
- Bechtel Weine Bechtel Wine in Eglisau, Zurich
- Cave de la Côte Our most popular Swiss wines
- Chanton Extraordinary rescuer of worthy grape varieties
- Domaine de Maison Blanche Fall in love with Chasselas here
- Domaine de Montmollin Biodynamic Neuchâtel beauties
- Domaine des Muses Everything Robert Taramarcaz does is pure magic
- Gialdi Vini & Guido Brivio Champions of Ticino
- Les Frères Dutruy Impressive organic wines from Lake Geneva
- Marie-Thérèse Chappaz
- Markus Stäger Elegant Pinot Noir
- Massy Vins The Clos du Boux is Dézaley and Epesses Chasselas heaven.
- Schlossgut Bachtobel Beautiful wines from Thurgau
- Simon Maye et Fils Beautiful Valais wines - cult and rightly so.
Find your wine in the list below or go to the filter-able catalog